- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lamb shanks
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 1 bunch broccolini chopped
- 1 large red capsicum deseeded and diced
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup pearl barley
- salt and cracked pepper
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Add lamb and cook for 4-5 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil and sauté onion, garlic and celery for 3 minutes or until golden.
- Mix in stock, water and barley. Return lamb to pan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Remove shanks from pan and shred meat from bones.
- Return meat to pan. Add carrots, zucchini, capsicum and broccolini. Simmer, covered, for a further 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with multigrain bread roll.
If you would like more updates on healthy recipe ideas and nutrition tips, make sure you sign up for our FREE newsletter!