- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons grounded turmeric
- 1 medium (1.5kg) butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups (500ml) boiling water
- ¼ cup natural yoghurt
- ½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- Toss the pumpkin in 1 tablespoon olive oil and place on prepared baking tray, season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and cook for 20 – 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add, turmeric, ginger, onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often until onion has softened. Add chopped carrots, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, boiling water and roasted pumpkin into the mixture. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until carrot softens. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Use a stick blender, puree until smooth. Place the soup over medium-low heat to warm through. Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt and freshly chopped coriander.
If you would like more updates on healthy recipe ideas and nutrition tips, make sure you sign up for our FREE newsletter!